"Sharing Responsibility - Protecting Children"

Children and young people in Inverclyde have a right to be protected and be safe from harm from others.  As professionals or others working with children you have a responsibility to help children who are at risk of abuse or neglect get the help they need when they need it.

If a child or young person alleges they are being abused or if you have concerns the child or young person is being abused or neglected or is at risk you should record this and you must report it without delay. You should take a note of what has been said, using the child’s own words as much as possible, and / or record the reasons for your concerns. Allegations or concerns should usually be reported to your line manager or designated child protection person but check your own agency or organisation procedure to make sure you know who this is.  If this person is not available you should contact social work services for advice.

Where the line manager or designated child protection person is advised of these concerns he/she should immediately report these concerns to social work or, depending on the nature of the concern and urgency of the situation, the police.  If the line manager is in any doubt about the significance of the concern he/she should phone social work services for advice.

Contact Numbers:-

Inverclyde Social Work Services (office hours)
01475 715365

Strathclyde Police (24 hours)

Glasgow and Partners Emergency Social Work Services (Out of Hours)
0300 343 1505

For more information you follow the link to the National Guidance for Child Protection in Scotland or the link to the West of Scotland Interagency Procedures, both of which have been adopted by Inverclyde Child Protection Committee. 

This page also includes links to related websites and downloadable documents including  the standard form on which to report your concerns and guidance on making a referral to the Reporter.

© 2008-2022 Inverclyde Council